Do you lack a device to access your virtual online recreation program? The Recreation Council Tablet Initiative may be able to help.
The tablet initiative is being funded as an option through our CARE voucher funding program. Eligible applicants of all ages can choose to request CARE voucher funds to purchase a Samsung 8″ tablet they can use to connect with virtual programs through their home WIFI. If applicants wish to purchase their own data plan for the tablet, they may request additional CARE dollars to cover up to $20 per month for their data plan.
Qualified individuals must have an intellectual/developmental disability as defined by SB-40 board services and must reside in St. Louis City, St. Louis County, St. Charles County, or Jefferson County. Applicants who qualify must lack the needed technology to access their virtual recreation/social programs, indicate financial need, and have a desire to engage in virtual recreational programming and socialization opportunities during these trying times. Informational Flyer
This project is possible through the Recreation Council’s funding partners, the Saint Louis Office for DD Resources, the Productive Living Board of St. Louis County, and the DDRB of St. Charles County. We are very grateful to these funding partners in responding to this identified need. Applicants must be eligible for SB-40 board services. Cost to apply is $30.
- E-Connect Informational Flyer
- E-Connect Process to apply Individuals who do not have a supporting agency may apply on their own and indicate which virtual recreation programs they plan to attend. Agencies may submit an application on behalf of a participant in their recreation program.
- Application E-Connect for FY’21
- Online Safety: Consider loading a free home version of “Open DNS” on your tablet by visiting this LINK. Or print this or Information Sheet – Online Security for Youth
- Free and Low Cost Internet Access: www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/how-can-i-get-free-internet
Here is a link to our VIRTUAL RECREATION PAGE so you can see all the amazing programs that recreation providers are holding. Join one today!
Alternate Funding Sources for youth who do not qualify for our voucher program:
- ARYA Foundation – adaptive equipment requests – LINK
- Adam Morgan Foundation – ipad initiative – LINK
- Maggie Welby Foundation- equipment and school-based needs – LINK
- Cuivre River Foundation – LINK
HOW TO USE YOUR NEW TABLET
ETIQUETTE FOR ATTENDING ONLINE GROUPS
Socializing online is new to everyone, so it’s important to know how to behave during virtual meetings, social gatherings, recreation programs, or group activities. Print out this 2 page handy guide developed by LifeBridge Partnership and Pathways to Independence: Click Here for your Guide to attending virtual meetings or Learn to Use ZOOM – printable instructions